Setting up a Regional Energy Agency in Ukraine
As of: April 2018
Objective and activities
The project aims to explore and realise energy saving and energy efficiency potentials on a communal (mainly buildings) level by building up energy agencies and collaterally advising these. Within the frame of the project, one energy agency will be institutionally established in Odessa, ranges of services will be developed and staff will be qualified. Experiences will be consolidated into best practices and disseminated in Ukraine. By these means, a range of consulting services will be created for, inter alia, the management of communal energy, which reveal energy saving options and related operating cost reductions in a community. Thereby, incentives will be created for other cities and communities to adopt successful approaches. On the German side the Berlin Energy Agency is involved, and, on the Ukrainian side, regional administrations (Oblast governments), city administrations and energy providers are of particular interest as partners.
State of implementation/results
- Creation of the Energy Agency of Odessa (OMEA) in April 2015. With support of the project, OMEA extended its service portfolio and offers inter alia energy audits according to international standards. 2 year anniversary video of OMEA.
- Capacity building trip for national and regional government members
- Development and publication of an ESCo handbook for entrepreneurs
- Trainings and conferences on energy efficiency (EE), e.g. six regional trainings on the ‘development and implementation of EE projects for tenants and owners’ representatives (OSBB) of multi-family houses in various Ukrainian regions. Continuation in 2017.
- In December 2016 the city council of Odessa approved the city’s Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP) which was prepared by OMEA under the Covenant of Mayors’ initiative.
- Support of the awareness raising initiative “School of Energy” from 02/2016 until 10/2016 in 25 schools and more than 500 pupils in the entire country. Since 2016 the project is continued as “School of Energy 2.0”
- The project supports the State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE) in performing its awareness raising tasks of energy consumers, e.g. in the setup of a call-center for a better implementation of the EE incentive programme ‘warm loans’
- The investment platform UA MAP for energy efficiency and renewable energy went online in autumn 2016 and has been visited frequently
- Support of the action „I am a European! I support sustainable energy development!” within the EU Sustainable Energy Week in Odessa 2017
- Inauguration of a "Center for energy efficient technologies" on Odessa's Polytechnical University Campus in 2017