Sino-German Climate Partnership - Phase III
As of: November 2018
Objective and activities
The project facilitates the achievement of the Chinese Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) by supporting China’s efforts in the establishment of a comprehensive system for climate governance. It supports the transition towards an energy system based on energy efficiency and renewable energy and promotes the shift to a low carbon economy in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. At national level it supports the bilateral policy dialogue on climate change between BMU and NDRC (Working Group on Climate Change) and enhances the exchange of German experiences and best practices. At local level, activities build on lessons learned during the previous project phase and strengthen capacities for the development of integrated climate, energy as well as adaptation concepts for cities. For new cooperation topics identified by the Working Group on Climate Change (e.g. South-South Cooperation), the project acts as an incubator for IKI portfolio development.
- Sino-German Climate Partnership
- Sino-German Climate Partnership and Cooperation on Renewable Energies
State of implementation/results
- The exchange of German and Chinese experts in January 2018 about methods and designing project activities to support local energy transition led to the first tentative analysis of German Experience, to a better understanding of diverse perspectives and to a summary of potential synergies with other actors – The Climate Partnership along with the China Carbon Forum and the IKI-project capacity building organized a dialogue on the subject of "The Role of Emissions Trading in China’s Low-Carbon Transition" (12/2017) and "Coal in face of the energy revolution" (03/2018) to support a development of a national emission trading scheme in China.
- In cooperation with "Climate Transparency" (another IKI project, implemented by the Humboldt-Viadrina Platform), an event on climate transparency in China was held on September 11, 2018, with attnedace by the project'S implementing partners and the German Embassy.
- Together with Climate Works Foundation and Energy Foundation, a discussion forum on the implementation of the Chinese NDC was convened. The forum was well-attended, und provided implementation partners as well as IKI cooperation partners an opportunity for exchange on the status of implementation of Chinese climate policy under its NDC.