Sino-German cooperation on low carbon transport
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
In 2011, China’s rapidly growing transport sector emitted 623 Mt CO2 (as compared to 149 Mt CO2 in Germany). There is great uncertainty surrounding China’s emissions trajectory and the country currently does not have adequate capacity to harness the mitigation potential in a strategic manner. The objective of this project is to ensure that decision-makers in relevant government departments have strategies at their disposal that enable them to develop China’s transport sector in a climate-friendly manner. The project advises the Chinese Government via several channels, including an international advisory committee. The advice provided focuses on the development of an MRV system for the transport sector. The strategies put forward include measures applicable to both freight and passenger transport. The implementation of pilot projects will lead to direct reductions in emissions, while the development of mitigation capacity will lead to indirect reductions.
State of implementation/results
- Close cooperation with the Transport Management Department within the Chinese Ministry of Transport (MoT)
- Project activities in urban public and freight transport focus on three topics: policies, technologies, monitoring & evaluation. They form the basis for a policy dialogue between Chinese and German partners.
- Publication of a Chinese version of the guidelines "On-street parking management"
- Study tour of MoT to Berlin and Bremen in October 2016 and of the Research Institute of Highway (RIOH) to Berlin in November 2018.
- Organisation of different workshops with topics such as Green Express Delivery (together with the Beijing Municipal Commission of Transport (BMCT) and the Beijing Transportation Institute (BTI) (12.03., 15.05. and 26.09.2018 in Beijing); quantification of emissions in road traffic in Shenzhen (9.-11.04.2018); traffic alliances (11.04.2018 in Foshan, Guangdong Province); promotion of bicycle traffic in CHN; traffic relocation from street to rail (13.10.2018 in Bejing); German-Chinese Intermodal Transport Forums (30.10.2018 in Bejing); Annual Green Freight Transport Conference (01.12.2018); development of bycicle infrastructure (12.12.2018 in Beijing).