Strategic Environmental Dialogues
As of: April 2018
Objective and activities
Building on two previous projects of the International Climate Initiative, the project intensifies the ongoing strategic environmental dialogue with important emerging economies such as Brazil, China, India and Thailand and expands the dialogue to include other countries. In addition to policy-makers, key stakeholders from industry, academia and civil society take part in the dialogue forums. The aim is to promote bilateral and international exchange on environmentally friendly and low-carbon business strategies, and thereby have a positive impact on the positions of the partner countries in climate negotiations. The project supports the German Federal Environment Ministry with technical advice and administrative/logistical tasks for hosting high-level, bilateral environmental forums. It also organises bilateral expert working groups as well as international and regional conferences, and carries out studies to prepare for the dialogues.
- Strategic Environmental Dialogue Forums with Newly Industrialising Countries
- Strategic Environmental Dialogue Forums with Partner Countries on Gearing their Economies Towards Resource and Energy Efficiency
State of implementation/results
- The second conference “Inclusive and Sustainable Economies Powering the Sustainable Development Goals“ from the 'UN Partnership for Action on Green Economy' (PAGE), which took place at the end of March 2017 in Berlin, was supported.
- Several large-scale summits have been organized: the Fifth Sino-German Environment Forum (April 2016), the Second Brazilian-German Joint Committee on Climate Change in Brazil (August 2015) and the Second Indo-German Environment Forum (January 2015).
- Annual steering committee meetings between the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety and the Thai Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment were organized.
- Activities of the Indo-German Expert Group on Green and Inclusive Economy are coordinated and transnational expert exchange was organized; several Policy Papers were published.
- A study on "Energy Efficient and Green Buildings: The Key to Decoupling in the Construction and Building Sector" in India has been commissioned.