Strategic Environmental Dialogues
As of: July 2019
Objective and activities
Building on two previous projects of the International Climate Initiative, the project intensifies the ongoing strategic environmental dialogue with important emerging economies such as Brazil, China, India and Thailand and expands the dialogue to include other countries. In addition to policy-makers, key stakeholders from industry, academia and civil society take part in the dialogue forums. The aim is to promote bilateral and international exchange on environmental-friendly and low-carbon business strategies, and thereby have a positive impact on the positions of the partner countries in climate negotiations. The project supports the German Federal Environment Ministry with technical advice and administrative/logistical tasks for hosting high-level, bilateral environmental forums. It also organises bilateral expert working groups as well as international and regional conferences, and carries out studies to prepare for the dialogues.
- Strategic Environmental Dialogue Forums with Newly Industrialising Countries
- Strategic Environmental Dialogue Forums with Partner Countries on Gearing their Economies Towards Resource and Energy Efficiency
State of implementation/results
Several high-level environmental dialogue forums have been held, e.g. the Fifth Sino-German Environmental Forum (April 2016), the second German-Brazilian climate dialogue in the context of the government negotiations (August 2015), the third Indo-German Environmental Forum (13th February 2019)
- Annual meeting of the steering group between the BMU and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment agreed in the Environmental Forum with Thailand in 2013
- An Indo-German Expert Group on Green and Inclusive Economy will be coordinated and a transnational exchange of experts will be organised, which has already published various policy papers
- A study on "Energy Efficient and Green Buildings: The Key to Decoupling in the Construction and Building Sector" in India was created
- The implementation of the 2. Inclusive and Sustainable Economies Powering the Sustainable Development Goals" ministerial conference of the UN Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE), which took place in Berlin from 27th -28th March 2017, was supported
- Under a financing agreement, the project supported the Michael Succow Foundation in the project "Strategic Environmental Dialogues on Carribean Coastal Peatlands". In addition to collecting data on moors and climate protection through missions to the region and various expert discussions, the project also included a workshop at the "International Wetland Symposium" in Cuba and an independent side event at COP 23 in Bonn (enb.iisd.org/…)
- BMU Side Event "Tackling Air Pollution- Challenges for Governments and Industry" as retired by UNEA 3 in Nairobi, Kenya on 5 December 2017 web.unep.org/…
- In October 2018 together with the partners in the Uruguayan Environment Ministry the second expert mission on sustainable watershed management was prepared and conducted. The report will be published in Autumn 2019.
- On 12th November 2018 the project supported on behalf of BMU the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) with the third consultation workshop on the Global Sustainable Development Report in Dhaka, Bangladesh.