Support of Nationally Intended Determined Contributions (INDCs) in Peru
As of: December 2019
Objective and activities
The project supported the Peruvian government in developing its “Intended Nationally Determined Contributions” (INDCs). The project measured comprised providing technical and policy advice to the Peruvian environment ministry in preparing the country's contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions as part of a future global climate change agreement. On the technical level, based on analyses and studies relevant data was generated and prepared to feed into the policy process. On the policy-institutional level, support was provided to foster the dialogue between relevant ministries and specify the details of the national contribution. Advice included supporting the first steps for implementing the agreements.
- Support Project for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPA)
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Advised the Peruvian government successfully in prioritising sectors for the formulation of the country’s INDC. To date, six sectors have been selected: LULUCF (land use, land-use change and forestry), agriculture, waste management, energy, transport and industrial processes.
- Assessment of the LULUCF, waste management and energy sectors regarding the feasibility of Peru’s voluntary mitigation targets of 2011. Development of proposals for mitigation measures in all sectors, based on the nationals program PlanCC and in consideration of priorities and existing sectoral plans (e.g. NAMAs).
- Multi-sectoral commission established at the ministerial level which verified and accredited the INDC at national level. Timely submission of the Peruvian INDCs to the UNFCCC.
- Supporting the Peruvian environment ministry with the presentation of the national INDC process and with the exchange within Latin America as part of the COP-20 in Lima in December 2014.
- Support in the organization, implementation and documentation of the public INDC hearing process (“consulta publica”). The public hearing validates the INDC and improves the acceptance of the measures within civil society, the private sector and science.
- Assessment of existing channels of communication between the Peruvian environment ministry and the sectoral ministries so as to improve process efficiency.
- Design of a communication plan for a participatory and informative implementation of the NDC. Presentation of the Peruvian INDC at the COP-21 in Paris.
- Development of a proposal for an internal monitoring system to revise progress made in the implementation of the sectoral INDC contributions.
- Setting-up a intersectoral Steering Committee for the implementation of the Peruvian NDC.
- Impact assessment of INDC on a subnational level in consideration of subnational development plans and activities of international cooperation on site.