Support of the Philippines for developing and implementing national contributions to the international climate change regime
As of: August 2019
Objective and activities
The project strengthens the Climate Change Commission (CCC) and other key actors in implementing and coordinating the national climate change regime as well as developing and operationalizing national contributions to the international climate change regime. Projects results will be fed into the international climate change regime by the CCC. The project supports mobilization of public and private resources for low carbon and climate resilient solutions, including by support to operationalizing the People's Survival Fund. The implementation of land use and development plans relevant for adaptation secures income and prevents economic damages caused by climate change. Climate-smart economic development increases the competitiveness of the private sector. Renewable energies stabilize the energy supply, increase the attractiveness of the Philippines as an investment location and promote economic development in remote areas.
State of implementation/results
The project supports the evaluation and review process of the Nationale Climate Change Action Plan NCCAP 2011-2028. First results have been verified, challenges in the M&E process been identified and the review has started
- The NCCAP will also serve as the NAP and encompasses an innovative crossectoral approach.
- 162 cities and communes have integrated climate change adapation and mitigation in their land use planning and development planning through a climate smart planning approach.
- The Ministry of Energy and the Climate Change Commission received support for the development of an MRV tool and a GHG inventory. At the same time, staff received training on how to improve the GHG inventory process.
- in november 2017 the Phillipines joined the NDC Partnership and participated at the NDC Partnership Forum at UNFCCC COP 23 in Bonn
- in 2018 the following critical events were supported, e.g. NAP-NDC Consensus Building Forum, Business Summit, Panel on National Energy Policy Review and Climate Change Consciousness Week