Support Project for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPA)
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The project strengthens the capacities of partner countries to successfully implement climate policy, reduce greenhouse gases, and increase adaptive capacity, and thus helps them to contribute to achieving the long-term objec-tive of the Paris Agreement. It provides a link between German international climate policy and development cooperation. The project supports the initia-tives: 1) IKI NDC Support Cluster, 2) NDC Partnership (NDCP), 3) 'Partner-ship on Transparency in the Paris Agreement' (Transparency Partnership) and 4) Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP). It contributes to capacity building, disseminates climate policy knowledge, and cases studies. Within the NDC Cluster and the NDCP, the project fosters coordination among the various stakeholders to promote efficient and tailor-made support for NDC implementation. In Morocco and Peru, it coordinates the NDC Cluster’s in-country activities.
- Supporting International Mitigation and MRV Activities (IMMA)
State of implementation/results
- Expansion of the collaboration with the Low Emission Development Strategies Global Partnership (LEDS GP) since June 2018, particularly within the framework of the IKI NDC Support Cluster (short: NDC Cluster).
- Development of and support for processes aimed at coordinating national policies and providing international assistance with implementing NDCs as part of the NDC Partnership (NDCP).
- Analysing lessons learned from successful NDC implementation and financing from NDCP and NDC Cluster countries.
- Since October 2017: The topic of adaptation to the impacts of climate change has been integrated into the support provided to the NDCP, the NDC Cluster and the Partnership on Transparency in the Paris Agreement (short: Transparency Partnership). Publication of knowledge products on the topic of climate change adaptation:
- Regular publication of ‘good practice’ case studies on climate policy issues at: www.transparency-partnership.net/… Publication of discussion papers and analyses for the Transparency Partnership:
Transparency Partnership Annual Partnership Retreats (APR):
Regional Groups of the Transparency Partnership:
Asian-Pacific Regional Group (www.transparency-partnership.net/…):
- March 2018: 4th Regional Workshop (WS) in Bangkok/Thailand on measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) in the sectors of waste, transport and agriculture, forestry and other land use as well as on the Enhanced Transparency Framework.
- December 2017: PHo Chi Minh City/Viet Nam: Participation of the Transparency Partnership in the Asia LEDS Forum.
Anglophone African Regional Group (www.transparency-partnership.net/…):
- April 2017: 5th Regional WS (with Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO & Secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, UNFCCC) in Accra/Ghana on ‘Converting Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) into Implementable Mitigation Actions’.
African Regional Group for French-speaking Countries (Cluster Francophone) (www.transparency-partnership.net/…):
- May 2018: 8th Regional WS in Douala/Cameroon (with Belgium, France, Switzerland and the Climate Change Competence Center of Morocco) on monitoring and evaluating adaptation.
- August 2017: 7th Regional WS (with FAO, Liaison Énergie-Francophonie) in Rome/Italy on financing climate protection measures and greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory preparation.
African Regional Group for Portuguese-speaking countries (Cluster Lusophone) (www.transparency-partnership.net/…):
- October 2017: 2nd Regional WS (with the United Nations Development Programme – UNDP, Belgium, Brazil, and Portugal) in Lisbon/Portugal on MRV/transparency.
- June 2017: 1st Regional WS (same partners) in Lisbon/Portugal on MRV/transparency.
Regional Group for Latin America and the Caribbean (Spanish-speaking) (www.transparency-partnership.net/…):
- August 2018: Participation in the 7th LEDS LAC Regional WS/1st Peer-to-peer dialogue of EUROCLIMA+ countries in Santiago de Chile.
- August/September 2017: Participation in the NDC Regional Dialogue Latin America in Quito/Ecuador (as co-organiser with UNFCCC, UNDP, and the Center for Clean Air Policy, among others) on the energy sector and financing.
- September 2017: 4th Regional WS (with the IKI Accounting Rules Project) in Costa Rica on transparency and accounting.
- 2018: Webinar series ‘Climate Tracking and Transparency’ in cooperation with World Resources Institute with 12 sessions (www.transparency-partnership.net/…).
- 2017/18: Webinar series: NDC accounting (June-July 2017), transparency and NDCs (November 2017), monitoring and evaluating adaptation (June 2018) (www.transparency-partnership.net/…). Working with other partners in the NDC Cluster to organise a series of workshops on developing innovative ‘NDC implementation approaches’ (www.ndc-cluster.net/…):
- April 2018, Berlin/Germany: WS for the sectoral approaches working group.
- June 2018, Cape Town/South Africa: WS for the climate financing working group.
- June 2018, Washington/USA: WS for the governance and transparency working groups.
- May 2017: Organisation of the Global NDC Conference 2017 (www.ndc-cluster.net/…) with the UNDP’s Low Emission Capacity Building Programme (LECB) and LEDS GP and in collaboration with the NDCP; topics: integrated governance, financing NDCs, transparency, regional and global cooperation. The next conference will take place in 2019 and preparations for this are under way.
- May 2017: Launch of the NDC Cluster website (www.ndc-cluster.net).
- Since November 2016: Establishing and coordinating the NDC Helpdesk and dealing with individual enquiries (Mali: training on GHG inventories (with FAO); Mongolia: advice on developing climate legislation (with the Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands).
- May 2017: Collaboration on the NDC Toolbox Navigator of the NDCP (ndcpartnership.org/…).