Support to the Implementation of the Regional Plan of Action of the Coral Triangle Initative on Coral Reefs, Fisheries and Food Security in the Sulu Sulawesi Seascape Countries
As of: November 2018
Objective and activities
The objective of the project is to support Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines in respect to jointly develop climate-related spatial and development plans and its effective implementation. As a result the three states of the Sulu-Sulawesi Marine Ecoregion successfully coordinate measures under a joint action plan and work together to implement cross-border projects concerned with marine protected areas, sustainable fisheries and species conservation.
State of implementation/results
- The Philippine part of the transboundary Marine Protected Area network for marine turtles was successfully established. The national fisheries laws for Marine Protected Areas have been updated and made stricter
- Berau in the East Kalimantan Province in Indonesia, an important nesting and feeding habitat of marine turtles that will form part of the transboundary Marine Protected Areas network, was declared a protected area
- In Sabah, Malaysia, fishermen are assisted with registration for fishing with the fishing association to improve their socio-economic status
- Targeted studies on the status of the Napoleon wrasse and sharks and rays in the Philippines led to the introduction of national action plans that contain policy recommendations as well as management measures
- Managers of marine protected areas and governmental employees received training in developing strategies for sustainable tourism strategies.