Support to the Philippine Climate Change Commission on the Implementation
of the National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan Project
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
The government of the Philippines resolved a climate legislative in 2009, which provides adaptation and mitigation. However, institutional capacities for the implementation of a consistent climate policy were weak and activities were not or insufficiently integrated into the planning process. The project therefore strengthened the national climate commission in development, implementation and coordination of the national climate strategy, and the national climate action plan and its integration in the planning system, e.g. applying an innovative monitoring system of effects of adaptation, local climate-compatible planning, support of the law of renewable energies, and with small-scale projects for better adaptation, mitigation and creation of carbon sinks with high possibility of duplication and multiplicator effects. The objective of the project was a better adaptation to climate change and emission reduction.
State of implementation/results
- project completed
- Need for adaptation and mitigation was analyzed.
- Political guidelines of climate financing (Climate Finance Readiness Roadmap) were elaborated.
- National committee of experts serving the climate commission was initiated and the 'People’s Survival Fund' established.
- The supreme authority on housing and spatial planning of the Siargao islands was supported with climate smart planning.
- A monitoring system to track effects of climate related measured was established.
- Institutional and technical capacities to promote renewable energies were enhanced.
- Two side events at the UNFCCC COP 18 and COP 19 were supported.