Support to the Strategic Alignment and Implementation of Climate Change Policy in Thailand
As of: December 2019
Objective and activities
The project aimed to support Thailand’s government in the implementation of an ambitious climate policy. Corresponding benchmarks included the planned Climate Change Master Plan (CCMP), Thailand’s five-year development plan and several energy strategies. The project provided training on climate issues and advisory support on institutional development. Further it supported the coordination of NAMAs, the development of sub-national climate change master plans and action plans in pilot regions. The project advised partners on carrying out an energy transition. A national forum on Energy Transition and an international dialogue with Germany incentivized a practice-oriented emissions reduction policy. The project promoted effective networking among the international climate projects operating in Thailand. It built on the project ‘Development and implementation of climate policy’.
- Thai-German Climate Change Policy Programme
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- In close cooperation with all relevant sector ministries the project supported the Office of Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP) with the development of an implementation roadmap for Thailand’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC).
- After the analysis of the renewable energy potential, in 2016 action plans for provinces and example communities were produced. These action plans present specific action guidelines for provinces and communities to make use of the identified potentials. Additionally the project supported the integration of the action plans into the regulatory systems of provinces and communities.
- The fifth and last training round on the integration of climate aspects into sub-national planning of 17 partner provinces and 32 partner communities was concluded in September 2016. The last training module focused on the topics climate finance and monitoring & evaluation in the context of the jointly developed climate action plans. This process was complemented by targeted guidance on the finalization of the climate action plans. The finalized plans were collected and experiences documented.
- In April 2017 the final workshop on the project activities was held with provinces and cities. In the workshop 16 provinces and 32 communities presented their climate action plans, they had developed with the support of the project.