Supporting developing countries to integrate the agricultural sectors into National Adaptation Plans (NAPs)
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The project integrates agriculture in National Adaptation Plans and supports partner countries in identifying and integrating climate adaptation measures for the agricultural sector into relevant national planning and budgeting processes. It is a multi-year initiative and responds to country-driven needs. The integration will help to enhance: - institutional capacities and processes for operationalizing climate response strategies in the sector; - access to international climate finance sources such as GEF and Green Climate Fund; - more strategic allocations of national budgets earmarked for adaptation Investments; - sharing of lessons learned and best practices on adaptation-related planning and budgeting processes. While the focus of the project is on the agricultural sector, including forestry and fisheries, the results and processes used are highly relevant to inform other sectors of good practices in integrating adaptation needs into national planning and budgeting.
State of implementation/results
- Each of the eight countries that joined the programme in 2015 are implementing activities in collaboration with Ministries of Agriculture and Environment with the support of UNDP and FAO. Details of progress in each country can be found on the UNDP and FAO web-pages.
- Three new countries that have joined the programme in 2016 (Colombia, Gambia, Guatemala) have started their activities
- As a result of this country driven support the Programme successfully 1.Advanced the development of climate change adaptation planning strategies and frameworks in the agriculture sectors in Kenya, Philippines, Thailand and Uganda; 2. Enhanced capacities of agriculture sector's decision-makers to appraise adaptation options, using cost-benefit analysis and impact evaluation, as a means to advance the NAP processes in Uganda, Uruguay and Zambia; 3. Initiated the leveraging of climate finance for the implementation of climate change adaptation strategies and frameworks in the agriculture sectors in Nepal, The Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam and secured GCF NAP readiness funding for Kenya and Uruguay.; 4. Developed a series of gender mainstreaming activities, enhancing global and country team members’ capacity to address gender issues through coaching and preparing gender mainstreaming guidance notes and checklists designed especially for the NAP–Ag Programme.
- COL: vulnerability & risk analysis and development of M&E System for the Integral Climate Change Management Plan of the Agricultural Sector
- GMB February 2019 workshop on climate-sensitive budgeting followed by initiation of a climate expenditure review for the Agriculture and Natural Resources --GTM support the implementation of Chapter 3 (Agriculture, Livestock and Food Security) and Chapter 6 (Integrated management of water resources) of the NAP --KEN Support of The Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Implementation Framework (KCSAIF 2018-2027), which was launched in October 2018 as well as M& E framweork for ist implementation strategy; leverage of 2.7 Mio USD trough support in GCF NAP readiness proposal
- NPL In October 2018 a new method for CCA budget coding and expenditure tracking for agriculture sector was finalized and approved to be applied in the upcoming fiscal year’s budgeting
- PHL Revision of the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Plan; development of indicators for M&E on climate change adaptation in agriculture sectors
- THA Support to the development and implementation of the Agriculture Climate Change Strategic Plan for 2017-21 (ACCSP), which will feed into the National Climate Change Action Plan; development of an M&E framework and Key Performance Indicators; Support tot he development of GCF NAP Readiness Proposal
- UGA National Adaptation Plan for the Agriculture sector (NAP-Ag) was officially launched in November 2018; Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Framework has been designed by the project, Training workshops on gender with the result that the NAP contains a chapter on gender
- URY project supported the formulation of the National Adaptation Plan for Climate Change and Climate Variability for Agriculture; leverage of 2.7 Mio USD trough support in GCF NAP readiness proposal – VNM project supports the development of adaptation assessments and monitoring systems for the implementation of sector adaptation priorities under Vietnam’s NDC and the development of a sector wide NAP, support to the development of a GCF NAP Readiness Proposal – ZMB project has contributed to the design and submission of a GCF NAP readiness proposal;
- For many more details on specific country actions and achievements see FAO and UNDP project website: www.fao.org/…
- Progress and lessons learned of the project were presented and discussed at COP 24 in a side event of the NDC Partnership Forum with the title ‘Mainstreaming agriculture sectors in country engagement processes: NDC-NAP country examples’. The event was covered by social media: twitter.com/… twitter.com/… twitter.com/…
- The Project participated at the NAP Expo from 8-12th of April 2019 in Songdo with the following three sessions "A systems approach to the integration of the agriculture sectors in the NAPs: what will it take?"; "Monitoring, evaluation and learning" ; "Gender in NAPs"