As of: January 2018
Supporting Initiative 20 by 20: A country-led effort to bring 20 million hectares of degraded land in Latin America and the Caribbean into restoration by 2020
Objective and activities
The project supports the country-driven Initiative 20x20. It aims to restore 20 million hectares of degraded land in Latin America and the Caribbean region by 2020 and thereby contributes to the Bonn Challenge. It supports partner governments in combined effort of research organisations, regional programs and the private sector. Project partners conduct a cost-effectiveness-analysis for selecting restoration schemes, identify new financial mechanisms through engagement of the private sector and support partner countries to develop a strategical plan for restoration. Additionally, agricultural and environmental authorities will be supported. Local communities will benefit from improved land functionality, reduced soil erosions, biodiversity conservation and the restoration of hydrological processes. Ultimately, the project has a significant impact in mitigating the effect of climate change and decreasing the vulnerability of the region.
State of implementation/results
- Country commitments to Initiative 20x20 continue to grow. Uruguay recently joined the initiative committing to restore 2.5 million hectares of degraded land, bringing the total country commitments to 53.18 million hectares.
- To increase investor interest in FLR, the project team is developing a Business Model Catalogue, set to be published in January 2018. The catalogue is intended to demonstrate existing investment opportunities in FLR, providing concrete examples of how businesses are generating revenues from FLR.
- A webinar on Economic Public Incentives for FLR was co-organized with the country focal points, to assess policy instruments available to support FLR.
- A Monitoring of Restoration webinar was held on May 3, 2017, with the objective of sharing information on available and emerging monitoring systems and experiences in the Latin American region, with the hope of supporting monitoring efforts of partner countries within the initiative.
- A Seed Supply for Restoration webinar was held on July 25, 2017 with the dual objective of (1) discussing and validating the set of indicators proposed for the Seed Supply study, and (2) evaluating its application in seven Latin American countries (Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru, Chile and Argentina) which have relevant baseline information on seed supply and production systems.