Sustainable & climate-friendly palm oil production and procurement
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
Through sustainability platforms and partnership agreements in selected pilot regions stakeholder will be supported in close collaboration with partners in the value chain to disseminate sustainable and climate friendly cultivation practices among smallholders, to increase yields and accomplish certification. In both countries smallholders, oil mills and governments benefit from development of training programs. In Indonesia, stakeholders in a pilot region elaborate a land use plan with protected areas and suitable areas for oil palm cultivation – e.g. degraded land. To increase the demand for these products in Germany, the project will develop public procurement guidelines for municipalities, Federal States and the Federal government, targeting at purchasing products with certified palm oil. The implementing partner „Deutsche Umwelthilfe e.V.“ will address consumer platforms, to increase awareness for sustainably produced palm oil.
- Sustainable Palm Oil Production for Bioenergy
State of implementation/results
- The project is working with UNDP and TNC to implement the East Kalimantan Declaration for Sustainable Plantation Management. The aim is to save 640,000 ha of forest from conversion into industrial plantations. Forest conservation areas outside state forest areas will be proposed to the district government .
- In July 2019, four smallholder cooperatives signed written statements that they would participate in the development of competencies for certification according to the ISPO and RSPO standards. This concerns 661 members who cultivate 2,479 ha of oil palm plantations.
- An action plan for integrated data management was agreed with the goverment of the administrative district East Kutai in East Kalimantan. This will allow better monitoring of land use and the certification progress.
- Project promotion material in Thai language:
- Animation video about sustainable palm oil agrifood.myqnapcloud.com:443/share.cgi?ssid=0uh7YqX
- Project presentation in an animation video agrifood.myqnapcloud.com:443/share.cgi?ssid=0DttaWc
- Production of four posters to engage small farmers as role models for sustainable palm oil production
- Launch of the DUH website for municipalities with information on sustainable palm oil and the pilot project: www.duh.de/palmoel-aber-richtig/
- In April 2019, start of the application phase for pilot municipalities as "model municipalities for the use of sustainably produced palm oil" with an application deadline of 1 November 2019 and announcement of the pilot municipality in Advent. The aim is to demonstrate the feasibility of converting to deforestation-free agricultural raw materials, in particular palm oil, for public administration and citizens alike.
- Collection of information, photos and film material in the pilot regions of Indonesia and Thailand in September 2019 for communication work in Germany.