Sustainable & climate-friendly palm oil production and procurement
As of: July 2019
Objective and activities
Through sustainability platforms and partnership agreements in selected pilot regions stakeholder will be supported in close collaboration with partners in the value chain to disseminate sustainable and climate friendly cultivation practices among smallholders, to increase yields and accomplish certification. In both countries smallholders, oil mills and governments benefit from development of training programs. In Indonesia, stakeholders in a pilot region elaborate a land use plan with protected areas and suitable areas for oil palm cultivation – e.g. degraded land. To increase the demand for these products in Germany, the project will develop public procurement guidelines for municipalities, Federal States and the Federal government, targeting at purchasing products with certified palm oil. The implementing partner „Deutsche Umwelthilfe e.V.“ will address consumer platforms, to increase awareness for sustainably produced palm oil.
- Sustainable Palm Oil Production for Bioenergy
State of implementation/results
- Recommendations for the designation of protected areas (forest and peat landscapes) and fallow land suitable for plantation development in the province of East Kalimantan were developed. These recommendations are incorporated into the national Mid-Term Development Plan 2019-2024 and the Low-Carbon Development Plan.
- Development of a landscape approach for the administrative district East-Kutai in East Borneo. The approach ensures that all marketed field and plantation products meet environmental and social sustainability standards. Thailand:
- 11/2018: Project launch events with more than 70 participants in Bangkok and Krabi (government officials, NGOs, farmers, cooperatives, private sector, international organisations).
- Preparation of training courses for 3,000 smallholders for certification according to the RSPO Smallholder Standard in oil palm cultivation. The RSPO standard prohibits the use of converted forest and peat areas and promotes cultivation methods with reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Germany
- By summer 2019, a study on quantities and certification status of palm oil products in public procurement at federal, state and municipal levels is conducted.
- 04/2019: Launch of the DUH website for municipalities with information on sustainable palm oil and the pilot project: www.duh.de/palmoel-aber-richtig/
- 04/2019 Start of the application phase for pilot municipalities as "model municipalities for the use of sustainably produced palm oil", application deadline: 11/2019, announcement of pilot municipality 12/2019.