Terrestrial Carbon Accounting International Academic Partnership (TCAICP)
As of: June 2019
Objective and activities
The Carbon Institute will build sustainable academic capacity to teach quality TCA within Indonesia and China by leveraging an Advanced TCA Certificate taught at the University of California in 2013. The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute will organize The Carbon Institute, working through partners, to establish national high-quality TCA certificate programs that integrate Policy Context, IPCC Guidelines, Emissions Factors, Activity Data, Statistics, and Communications. Curriculums will be designed through academic and national government consultations to directly serve country needs. The Carbon Institute will organize an international advisory panel, conduct scoping studies, develop nationally-tailored certificate programs, build tool books that aid accreditation, marketing, evaluation, and support faculty and alumni of TCA certificate programs. Collectively, this grant will complete 240 student-courses per country, resulting in at least 80 advanced TCA Certificates issued.
State of implementation/results
- The Carbon Institute supports the UNFCCC process and the Enhanced Transparency Framework of the Paris Agreement. The 2018 and 2019 Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate programs in China and Indonesia support international climate change policy processes through training of advanced terrestrial carbon accounting faculty and professionals.
- Project website launched in 2016: www.carboninstitute.org
- The project has completed six TCA curricula: 1) TCA policy contexts, 2) Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change inventory guidelines and classification, 3) TCA activity data, 4) TCA emissions factors, 5) TCA statistics, and 6) policy and communication.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed with key institutions in China and Indonesia to run The Carbon Institute TCA certificate programs in 2018 and 2019.
- A first Chinese Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in August 2018, with 79 graduates earning certificates.
- A first Indonesian Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in September 2018, with 28 graduates earning certificates.
- Carbon Institute partners held their 2018 All Partners event at the Global Climate Action Summit. The Carbon Institute had two official summit “affiliated events, both celebrating TCA Certificate courses in China and Indonesia and similar courses in Africa. Click here for more information: ucnrs.org/…
- Partners are developing teaching materials for Blue Carbon policy and accounting, an important emerging sphere for climate change mitigation and adaptation. The implementing organization has no knowledge of other rigorous blue carbon curriculums.
- Partners are completing a new curriculum for the Paris Agreement’s rule book on the Enhanced Transparency Framework (18/CMA.1) which will be included in the 2019 TCA Certificate courses in China and Indonesia.
- The Carbon Institute updates an open source platform for curriculum and teaching materials at: carboninstitute.org/…
- The notification of the 2019 China TCA training will be published at: www.forestry.gov.cn/…
- The notification of the 2019 TCA course in Indonesia will be announced here: gunungwalat.ipb.ac.id/…
- The Carbon Institute Council was formed to oversee accreditation processes for TCA Certificates, to scale into new countries, to form new partnerships, and to secure funds for when the original grant ends.
- The Carbon Institute council adopted a five-pronged workplan (accreditation, governance, fund raising, replication, new partnerships) for 2019.
- In 2019, The Carbon Institute Council completed accreditation of TCA Certificates in China and Indonesia. Both TCA programs were successfully accredited internationally and nationally.
- More information on the council is here: carboninstitute.org/…