Terrestrial Carbon Accounting International Academic Partnership (TCAICP)
As of: March 2019
Objective and activities
The Carbon Institute will build sustainable academic capacity to teach quality TCA within Indonesia and China by leveraging an Advanced TCA Certificate taught at the University of California in 2013. The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute will organize The Carbon Institute, working through partners, to establish national high-quality TCA certificate programs that integrate Policy Context, IPCC Guidelines, Emissions Factors, Activity Data, Statistics, and Communications. Curriculums will be designed through academic and national government consultations to directly serve country needs. The Carbon Institute will organize an international advisory panel, conduct scoping studies, develop nationally-tailored certificate programs, build tool books that aid accreditation, marketing, evaluation, and support faculty and alumni of TCA certificate programs. Collectively, this grant will complete 240 student-courses per country, resulting in at least 80 advanced TCA Certificates issued.
State of implementation/results
- Project website launched in 2016: www.carboninstitute.org
- In 2017, a draft of the planned TCA toolbook document and an additional online interactive „toolbox“ system were developed.
- So far, the project has completed the development of four TCA curricula: on the TCA policy context, TCA GIS and TCA data collection for China, as well as the TCA GIS curriculum for Indonesia.
- Four partnership meetings were held to share and further disseminate best practices in TCA certificates. The partners met in San Diego (USA, 2016) and Tiburon (USA, 2017) as well as at COP22 in Marakesh and COP23 in Bonn.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed with key institutions in China and Indonesia to begin running The Carbon Institute Terrestrial Carbon Accounting certificate programs in 2018.
- A first Chinese Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in August 2018, with 79 graduates earning certificates.
- A first Indonesian Terrestrial Carbon Accounting (TCA) Certificate course was completed in September 2018, with 28 graduates earning certificates.
- Carbon Institute partners held their 2018 All Partners event at the Global Climate Action Summit. The Carbon Institute had two official summit “affiliated events”; both celebrating TCA Certificate courses in China and Indonesia and similar courses in Africa.
- Partners are now developing teaching materials for Blue Carbon, an important sphere for climate change, but one with few rigorous curriculums, teaching platforms, and no national accreditation system for evaluating greenhouse gas impacts in marine ecosystems.