Wetlands Management for Biodiversity and Climate Protection
As of: January 2020
Objective and activities
The project aims at institutionalizing an ecosystem approach to wetlands management, and effective implementation of the "National Programme on Conservation of Aquatic Ecosystems". The outputs for achieving the objective are: i) an ecosystem approach of wetlands management for three selected Ramsarsites in two states; ii) establishing a wetlands monitoring system, including Ramsar Site Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool (R-METT); iii) capacity development and institutional strengthening for wetlands management. Addressing management and capacity gaps at central and state levels will lead to a better protection of the wetlands’ biodiversity and ecosystem services. It will also enhance their climate resilience and improve livelihoods of communities living around the selected sites.
- Participatory Management for Sustainable Use and Conservation of Wetland, Coastal and Marine Protected Areas
State of implementation/results
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change India (MoEFCC) has selected the following five project locations in three federal states: Pong and Renuka in Himachal Pradesh; Bhitarkanika and Chilika in Odisha; Point Calimere in Tamil Nadu.
- The stakeholder meeting in Pong in May 2019 fostered the understanding of the different interests and perspectives of wetland management.
- The specific characteristics for the integrated management of the Point Calimere wetland were identified and defined. These include the changes observed during the last two to three decades and the main factors that triggered these changes. Other specific characteristics relate to the extent, catchment area, hydrology and land use of the wetland, biodiversity and ecosystem services as well as the dependency of the local population on the wetland and wetland management.
- Currently, a wetlands inventory, assessment and monitoring (WIAMS) guide for wetland managers is being prepared, based on expert interviews and contributions from project sites.
- A wetlands inventory, assessment and monitoring guide (WIAMS) is currently being prepared for wetland managers, based on expert interviews and contributions from project sites.