Global Landscapes Forum
The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) is the world’s largest knowledge-led forum on integrated, sustainable land use accelerating action to build productive, prosperous, equitable and resilient landscapes. The GLF’s connection with communities, grassroots movements, and local change-makers, as well as large, multilateral donors puts it in a unique position to catalyze transformative change at scale. Today, the GLF has a thriving, global community centered on action and seeks to mainstream landscape thinking into development and conservation efforts as a core partner to the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021 - 2030 and the Global Environment Facility funded Food Systems, Land Use, and Restoration (FOLUR) Impact Programme.
- Indonesia, Kenya, Peru
- IKI funding
- 11,160,000.00 €
- 04/2017 till 12/2023
- Implementing organisation
- Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
- Implementing Partner
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) - USA
- United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment)
State of implementation/results
- The Global Landscapes Forum (GLF) has a thriving, global community centered on action and is a core partner to the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030 and the Global Environment Facility funded Food Systems, Land Use, and Restoration (FOLUR) Impact Programme. The 2021-24 Luxembourg-GLF Partnership will mainstream and catalyze private sector engagement in sustainable land use finance.
- GLF’s regional and global conferences changed narratives and brought together thousands of people online and in person to scale solutions and accelerate action on the ground.
- GLF Africa refuted common myths about drylands and raised the importance of Africa’s drylands to the continent’s sustainable development, while GLF Amazonia put forth one clear message: that the protection of the Amazon is crucial for the survival of people and ecosystems globally. This culminated at GLF Climate, held alongside COP26, which explored the potential of forest restoration, resilient food systems and sustainable finance as key solutions to the climate crisis.* Ways to engage with GLF in 2022
- GLF Africa Digital Conference, 15 September 2022: Featuring leading change-makers, voices, and thinkers from across Africa and the rest of the world, GLF Africa will demonstrate the power of community-led action for food security, drought management, and healthy ecosystems.
- GLF Climate Hybrid Conference, 11 November 2022: Held in conversation with world leaders attending the UN COP27 climate change conference in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, and joined by leading scientists, activists, Indigenous leaders, financiers and youth, GLF Climate will call for ambitious, concrete action to stop the climate crisis.
- GLF’s sixth Investment Case symposium, December 2022 will move the conversation on sustainable finance forward. Join sustainable finance practitioners, project developers, investors and changemakers to learn about new initiatives, and investable projects on nature-based solutions.
- The Restoration Alliance is the GLF body that leads restoration action on the ground. Whether that’s by planting trees, recovering coral reefs, connecting stakeholders, creating a local community, and/or community capacity building, the Restoration Alliance is on the front line of action for the restoration and sustainability of landscapes around the world – contributing to global efforts under the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
- The Restoration Stewards program supports the projects of youth restoring landscapes around the world. Meet the stewards and read their stories.
- The GLFx community-led chapter initiative bridges local action and global agendas through independently organized chapters committed to conserve, protect and restore landscapes. Join the GLFx platform to connect with others who are passionate about sustainable landscapes and be the first to learn about new opportunities in the network.
- Visit the Landscape Academy to enrol in top landscape courses hosted by GLF and partners or browse open learning resources to curate your own curriculum.*