International forest-related climate finance
Forests are complex ecosystems, which fulfil many functions. They also have a major global role to play as carbon sinks. The project improves the effectiveness of climate financing approaches that have a positive impact on forest conservation. Capacities are also being increased in partner countries to reduce emissions from forest and land use. The project pursues three active approaches aimed at achieving more climate protection through the strengthening of the forests: At the international level, the issue of climate financing is better positioned and more private involvement in this area is encouraged. The cooperation of the stakeholders is also improved, with the result that forest-relevant climate financing is more effectively implemented and the goals of the New York Declaration on Forests are achieved more effectively. In addition, donors are better coordinated and are responsible for climate financing and the transfer of knowledge from project activities.
- Brazil, Colombia, Indonesia, Peru
- IKI funding
- 6,700,000.00 €
- 05/2018 till 04/2025
- Implementing organisation
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Political Partner
- Diverse climate change relevant institutions in the respective partner countries/Diverse klimarelevante Institutionen in den entsprechenden Partnerländern
State of implementation/results
- Organization and implementation of numerous technical events, including on environmental integrity of forest-related standards in carbon markets, the measurement of forest area change, and the role of integrated approaches ("nesting") in forest conservation.
- Workshops on "Implications of the new Paris Agreement / Article 6 rules for Reducing Emissons from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+)
- Organization of meetings of the GER-NOR-UK-US Donor Partnership and intensified exchanges with the US on Forests & Climate Finance to strengthen policy dialogue and coordination.
- Technical and coordination support to DEU, NOR, UK and US governments on planning, implementation and monitoring of a Joint Declaration of Intent on Forest Conservation with Colombia
- Continued support to DEU, NOR and UK governments on forest-related climate cooperation with Peru, especially on the extension of the JDI with Peru until 2025, as well as through analyses, funding of coordination capacities and the organization of planning meetings and policy dialogues
- Support of innovative methods to analyze climate and deforestation risks for companies and investors: publication of Orbitas reports and a web-based Orbitas tool.
- Publication of technical articles, including on the role of China and the EU in promoting deforestation-free supply chains (Econet Monitor 08/2020) and on forest-related quality standards in carbon markets, Basic Income for Forest and Conservation .
- Support to UK COP Presidency in planning, coordinating, and shaping the content of multilateral donor initiatives for forest conservation finance as well as strengthening indigenous communities.
- Conceptual support to pilot digital innovative tools for forest climate finance.
The link has been copied to the clipboard