As of: November 2016
Advancing understanding of forest carbon stock enhancement as part of REDD+
Objective and activities
The project is enhancing the capacities of its partners in the Lao People's Democratic Republic and Viet Nam to pilot the expansion of carbon enrichment measures in forests, collect and disseminate relevant information, and integrate the topic into national strategies for reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+). The project is restoring a pilot area of 5,000 hectares comprising various forest ecosystems and is training local employees. It is testing monitoring systems on pilot areas, which should provide valuable experience in integrating natural carbon storage into national REDD+ systems in Viet Nam and the Lao People's Democratic Republic. Furthermore, the project partners are developing and testing a system for determining whether measures to restore damaged forests are economically feasible. Transaction and administrative costs play a major role in this, as does the introduction of payment systems benefitting the local population in the long term. In addition, workshops and training measures are carried out to promote the exchange of knowledge and capacity development. A handbook for expanding carbon reservoirs in various ecosystems in South-East Asia draws on experiences gained through these measures.
State of implementation/results
- A study on Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR): Land use incentives in Vietnam was carried out.
- A scoping study on FLR was carried out in order to identify possible activities and appropriate areas for the project, with a specific focus on FLR activities in Ha Tinh Province but with additional mapping support for Nghe An Province.
- As of October 2016, five demonstration models on Solar Water Pump systems were introduced and installed to two individual households (10 people benefited) and three Group households (19 Households with 95 people benefited) for irrigation for Pomelo (three hectares) and Tea cultivation (two hectares) for communities living nearby forest areas for increasing crop productivities and improving livelihoods of local people.
- Methods for Sustainable Agricultural Cultivation were introduced through SRI (System of Rice Intensification) model in 22.5 hectares of paddy rice in the Ha Tinh and Nghe An provinces.
- A national workshop on “Enhancing the forest carbon stock in the context of REDD+ in Vietnam” was held successfully by SNV in collaboration with Vietnam REDD+ Office (VRO).