As of: May 2017
Creation of a comprehensive framework for NAMAs and MRV in Viet Nam
Objective and activities
The aim of the project is to support the Vietnamese Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) in coordinating the implementation of nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs) that satisfy the international standards for measurement, reporting and verification (MRV). Viet Nam's greenhouse gas emissions are rapidly increasing, while at the same time the country is exposed to the impacts of climate change due to its long coastline. Within this context, the government of Viet Nam is pursuing a constructive climate policy approach in order to reduce the country's greenhouse gas emissions. With the project's support, Viet Nam is building up the personnel and institutional structures that are needed to successfully develop and implement NAMAs. Within MONRE, a new national coordinating and advisory body for NAMAs will provide support to the specialised ministries in the planning and implementation of the selected NAMAs, while also advancing the development of a national MRV system. To contribute to creating such a system, the project partners are developing an online platform that collects emissions data and information, and makes these widely available. The experience gained within the context of this project will be disseminated internationally through regional and global dialogue forums and peer-to-peer learning platforms, among other things.
State of implementation/results
- The project assisted the partners in elaborating the Vietnamese INDC and is also supporting the implementation planning since the beginning of 2016. Vietnam has adopted a strategic plan for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in October 2016 as one of the first countries in the region.
- Workshops were carried out to strengthen the Vietnamese negotiating capacities in the context of the UNFCCC negotiations. Moreover, Vietnam was advised with regard to the conceptual and organizational design of Side Events and its Pavilion.
- Recommendations for the development of a national MRV system drawn up as part of the project are now available and will be discussed with the partners. In addition, members of various sectoral ministries and further relevant institutions participated in trainings with focus on the MRV of NAMAs.
- Based on a national prioritization process and on consultations with national stakeholders, the Low Carbon Bus NAMA has been developed. The design has been presented in Vietnam as well as on the international level. It is now available as NAMA concept which is eligible for finance.
- An options paper for the institutionalization of a NAMA Service Unit at MONRE is now available to be decided on by the Vietnamese partners.