As of: October 2016
Strengthening low-carbon development at the subnational level in Africa and South-East Asia (V-LED)
Objective and activities
The project supports the more effective design of local climate policies in Kenya, the Philippines, South Africa and Viet Nam. Low-carbon development at municipal level will help countries achieve their national climate change mitigation goals. To this end, the project is boosting the planning, coordination and implementation capacities of policy-makers. It fosters information and knowledge transfer between the national and subnational level, for example provinces and municipalities, through regular events on climate protection issues using various dialogue formats. In addition, training programmes, analysis of project experiences through studies, and structured means for facilitating exchange between partner countries at regional level strengthen specialist knowledge and exchange between the stakeholders. The project also advises on integrating elements for emission reductions into municipal development and climate action plans. This will enable more systematic design and implementation of policies.
The project approach is geared towards transferring successful policy approaches and instruments of the German Climate Initiative (NKI) to partner countries.
State of implementation/results
- Project presented at the COP 21 in Paris and contributed to various international conferences, i.a. "International Conference on Climate Action" (ICCA) in Hannover in October 2015, "Berlin Conference on Global Environmental Change" in 05/2016 (see blog post, external), "Urbanisierung in Deutschland: Lösungen der Städte und Kommunen für die Herausforderungen der urbanen Entwicklung" in Hamburg in May 2016, 6th Regional Workshop "Integrated Resource Management in Asian Cities: the Urban Nexus" in Santa Rosa, the Philippines in June 2016, "Resilient Cities" Congress in Bonn in July 2016, "Urban Transitions Global Summit 2016" in Shanghai in September 2016 und UN-Habitat III in Quito in 10/2016
- South Africa: Kick-off workshop held in June 2015 with the South African Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA), attended by other ministries and national and sub-national actors; project advisory committee established; to support research, a pilot training course was initiated on municipal water supply; vertical dialogues conducted in November 2015, February and May 2016 ; project partner Sustainable Energy Africa published Low Carbon and Sustainable Development Future for South African Cities study in November 2015; round table on the implementation of the South African Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and the role of communities and municipalities in this context held in September 2016
- Kenya: Kick-off workshop held in June 2015; six background studies prepared on identifying specific approaches for promoting low-carbon development at sub-national level; vertical dialogue conducted at sub-national level in November 2015; two guidelines for action/training courses on climate governance and a Climate Action Toolkit for developing measures at local level prepared; support provided for civic participation process in April 2016: a civil society organisation received training in order to review and comment on two new laws at district level; video interviews conducted with municipalities in February 2016 in order to incorporate their interests into dialogue events with government representatives; Good Practice Exchange-workshop on climate resilient development in cooperation with the local government of Kwale County, attended by non-government organisations and companies, conducted in September 2016
- Philippines: Kick-off workshop and first vertical dialogue held in December 2015, attended by representatives from the national and local government, international donors and non-governmental organisations; second vertical dialogue and workshop to exchange good practices on low-carbon development at sub-national level, with a focus on mitigation at local level through measures in the waste sector conducted in March 2016; dialogue event on local climate action in the new National Urban Development and Housing Framework held in September 2016
- Viet Nam: Kick-off workshop held in May 2016, first dialogue event “Low emission development integrated on city development strategy” held in August 2016 in Tam Ky in conjunction with the first meeting of the project advisory committee