As of: May 2016
Climate Partnership with the Private Sector (Phase I + II)
Objective and activities
The Climate Partnership with the Private Sector programme promotes private sector engagement in developing countries and emerging economies with the aim of fostering sustainable development that contributes to greenhouse gas reduction and adaptation to climate change. The programme focuses on promoting the transfer of climate-friendly technology and know-how. Under the programme, German and European technological leaders implement projects that serve as models in the partner countries. These pilot projects demonstrate the application of innovative technologies and adapt proven greenhouse gas reduction technologies to specific climatic conditions in the target countries, as well as facilitating knowledge transfer. At the same time the programme strengthens local structures to promote the widespread use of climate-friendly technologies.
State of implementation/results
Phase I (03/2010 - 06/2015)
- Promotion of 15 projects on four continents, primarily in the fields of energy efficiency and renewable energy
- January 2015: organisation of a workshop to present the results from the standpoint of BMUB, DEG and representatives of the private sector
- Publication of a documentary report on phase 1 (brief descriptions of all promoted projects and lessons learned).
- In markets with considerable potential but to some extent inadequately trained personnel, access can be successfully achieved through a climate partnership
- It proved possible to increase the visibility of the projects by involving local multipliers and creating local capacities, and by establishing high-profile technology transfer
- Two thirds of the partner companies plan to tap markets in other neighbouring and emerging countries, as well as continuing their involvement in the target country
- More than 70% of the partner companies state that they have boosted the business potential of their technology in the target country as a result of the project being implemented
Documentary report (PDF, 4 MB)
Phase 2 (August 2014 – December 2018)
Factsheet "Solarkiosk - The Energy Gateway to the Base of the Pyramid (BoP)" (PDF, 815 KB)