As of: October 2016
Blue Solutions - Implementation of the Strategic Plan of the Biodiversity Convention in Marine and Coastal Ecosystems
Objective and activities
The project is to develop a 'Blue Solutions' network committed to safeguarding the sustainable use and restoration of marine and coastal ecosystems through protected area management. Network participants exchange information on strategies, instruments and experience in this area, in addition to developing and testing pilot measures. To this end, the project organises workshops and has set up an online platform. It also documents the results of knowledge exchange and subsequently advises on how best to integrate and implement agreed approaches into national and regional strategies and planning processes. In this way, with the help of the project, the partner countries contribute to implementing one of the key areas of activity of the Convention on Biodiversity (CBD).
State of implementation/results
- Two events were held in May and December 2014 in Senegal: the ‘Regional Forum on Solutions for Oceans, Coasts und Human Wellbeing in Asia and Pacific’ with participants from 17 countries, and a Summer School on Marine Protected Areas with the Centre for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT).
- Through October 2016, 115 Blue Solutions from Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Africa were added to the knowledge portfolio.
- Information on individual Blue Solutions is disseminated regularly through brochures, websites and the IUCN Newsletter.
- Training courses and management events were designed and implemented together with project partners. This includes a modular training course on biological diversity of coastal and marine habitats, workshops on integration of ecosystem services of coastal and marine habitats in development planning, training courses on managing marine protected areas and marine spatial planning.
- The Sustainable Oceans Leadership Lab was conducted as a joint initiative of Blue Solutions and the Global Leadership Academy (BMZ). The Lab involved an innovative training course for 30 prominent leaders from six global initiatives for protecting oceans, international experts and representatives from the private sector.
- Implementation of and participation in diverse regional and international events for exchanging experience and training courses.
- In 2016, Blue Solutions co-founded the Panorama partnership and is now hosting the marine and coastal theme of Panorama, and the respective thematic portal on the Panorama web platform.