As of: February 2016
Mexican-German NAMA programme
Objective and activities
The project was preparing the first nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs) in Mexico in the key sectors of construction/refurbishment of residential buildings, energy efficiency in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and freight traffic. They were earmarked for broad-scale implementation with international co-financing. The project partners were setting up a NAMA coordination office in Mexico to effectively advise the local authorities. In this way, the project was supporting the Mexican partner institutions, such as the environmental, energy and transport ministries and the national housing commission, in developing strategies and financing mechanisms, setting up measuring, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, and developing the necessary capacity for implementing NAMAs.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Advisory services for the Mexican Government in developing and preparing NAMAs for the construction sector (existing and new buildings), energy efficiency in SMEs and transport/freight have commenced
- 'Supported NAMA for Sustainable Housing in Mexico - Mitigation Actions and Financing Packages' guidelines presented during the 17th Conference of the Parties (COP 17) in Durban
- Provision of support in developing viable mechanisms for national and international financing of the developed NAMA proposals has begun
- Methodological and institutional groundwork for monitoring impacts (MRV system) are in preparation; the project supported the creation of the MRV system for the NAMA on buildings (external), among other things
NAMA on housing construction - NAMA on housing refurbishment
- Presentation of the 'Supported NAMA for energy efficient new housing in Mexico - mitigation actions and financing packages' guidelines during the 17th Conference of the Parties (COP 17) in Durban.
- Launch of the NAMA developed as part of this project for energy efficiency in social housing construction in the framework of the German-British BMUB-DECC NAMA Facility at the 18th Conference of the Parties (COP 17) in Doha.
- Advisory services for construction projects involving the piloting of NAMAs for new housing in two Mexican federal states (55 homes or housing units). A third pilot project (approx. 8 homes) is under preparation.
- Analysis and benchmarking study prepared on the energy saving potential in the SME hotel sector in Mexico.
- Online training course on energy efficiency for KMUs (sectoral version) has been developed and implemented together with the national development bank NAFIN.
- Participation in an informational video (external, Spanish) of Mexican project partners.
NAMA on freight transport
- International comparative study on successful emission reduction measures in the road transport sector.
- Course carried out on sustainable transport in Mexico with a focus on freight transport.
- Five courses carried out on efficient driving behavior for small road haulage companies, and training videos prepared.
- Calculation tools for the truck scrapping programme developed together with the IKI TRANSfer project.
- Mexico transport sector favors energy efficient use of vehicles (external)