Thai-German Climate Change Policy Programme
As of: September 2021
Thailand’s NDC commits the country to a number of ambitious mitigation targets while also picking out the sectors of energy, transport and waste management as key areas for climate adaptation. Successful implementation of these targets will require improvements to individual and organisational capacities, and to cooperation between ministries and agencies. The project is helping Thailand to anchor these NDC targets into five relevant sector plans. The project is also helping with NDC implementation at the subnational level, the establishment of an MRV system, the mobilisation of resources for NDC implementation and expanding the country’s international partnerships. The programme is also promoting the mainstreaming of climate change policy into the sector ministries and at the subnational level. The project also acts as a point of contact and liaison between the various IKI projects in Thailand.
State of implementation/results
- TGCP-Energy supported the German Embassy Bangkok in organising the "Moving and Powering the Future" event series. Three events (from March 2021 to approx. June 2021) were intended to raise public awareness of the energy and transport transition in Thailand. The travelling exhibition from Germany (www.energiewende-global.com), showing the energy/transport transition from an international perspective, was shown side by side with the Thai exhibition focusing on the local context of the energy/transport transition in Thailand.
- TGCP-Energy organised a seminar on "Energy / Transport Transition and Smart City" from 23 to 24 March 2021 as a side event of the "Moving and Powering the Future" event in Khon Kaen Province (Northeast of Thailand).
- GIZ conducted a field observation on greenhouse gas emission measurement in rice cultivation on 30 November 2020.
- The IKI cooperation meeting was held on 9 November 2020. More than 100 online and in-person participants from Thai government agencies, the German Federal Ministry for the Environment (BMU) and international development organisations met and discussed successes, challenges and policy developments.
- ONEP, with support from GIZ, organised a WE CHANGE climate change event on 2 December 2020.
- TGCP-Waste, in cooperation with the Marriott Marquis Bangkok Hotel, produced a DW documentary as part of Global 3000 on "Fighting Food Waste in Thailand" (www.dw.com/…).
- TGCP-Water organised a training for 50 water sector representatives on participatory and climate-sensitive river basin planning and Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) from 1 to 4 December 2020
- TGCP-Water produced a five-minute video clip on the impacts of climate change in the Thai water sector, climate-sensitive river basin management, EbA and multistakeholder cooperation (www.youtube.com/…).
- TGCP-Water is supporting five Thai universities to develop M&E approaches for EbA interventions in Thailand. ONWR is working with universities and GIZ to develop a methodology for monitoring and evaluating the benefits of nature-based flood and drought interventions.