Thai-German Climate Change Policy Programme
As of: January 2022
Thailand’s NDC commits the country to a number of ambitious mitigation targets while also picking out the sectors of energy, transport and waste management as key areas for climate adaptation. Successful implementation of these targets will require improvements to individual and organisational capacities, and to cooperation between ministries and agencies. The project is helping Thailand to anchor these NDC targets into five relevant sector plans. The project is also helping with NDC implementation at the subnational level, the establishment of an MRV system, the mobilisation of resources for NDC implementation and expanding the country’s international partnerships. The programme is also promoting the mainstreaming of climate change policy into the sector ministries and at the subnational level. The project also acts as a point of contact and liaison between the various IKI projects in Thailand.
State of implementation/results
- On June 30, 2021, the first of two planned IKI cooperation meetings in 2021 was held, inviting all Thai partner agencies and implementing organizations with ongoing IKI projects in Thailand. The focus of the virtual exchange meeting was updates on the implementation of Thailand's NDC and the 2030 Agenda, as well as the role of IKI projects with regard to the implementation of Thailand's climate targets and climate-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Link: www.thai-german-cooperation.info/…
- TGCP-Energy supports the Ministry of Energy (MoEN) in the field of electrification of Thai islands. On 09/09/2021, TGCP-Energie participated in MoEN's working group on island electrification to advance the policy framework for electrification of remote areas.
- TGCP-Water is supporting five Thai universities to develop pilot M&E approaches for EbA measures in Thailand. Link: www.thai-german-cooperation.info/…
- TGCP-Agriculture supports the Thai Rice Department in promoting sustainable rice production in the central and northeastern regions of Thailand. Link: www.thai-german-cooperation.info/…
- TGCP waste will participate in the "Zero Summit 2021" on Sept. 29, 2021 with a talk on "Shaping the Future Food System (International Level)," a virtual event organized by Scholars of Sustenance, the first food preservation foundation in Thai-land. Link: www.scholarsofsustenance.org/zero-summit