Climate-neutral alternative fuels
Brazil has huge potential in terms of renewable energies – and a rapidly increasing demand for fuel. The project developed an international reference model for the production and application of climate-neutral fuels, which are produced using wind and solar energy and used in aviation and other transport segments – the electric mobility segment, however, was not included. Fuels were produced and used in a pilot project to prove their feasibility and economic efficiency. The experience gained was systematised and introduced into the international debate on transport sector decarbonisation.
- IKI funding
- 5,700,000.00 €
- 08/2017 till 02/2023
- Implementing organisation
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Political Partner
- Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communication - Brazil*
- Implementing Partner
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- In May 2022, the 2nd Congress of the Brazilian Network for Biokerosene and Sustainable Hydrocarbons in Aviation (RBQAV) will take place, at which ProQR will organise training and a panel discussion.
- In December 2021, in cooperation with the H2Brasil project, a contract was signed with the vocational training provider SENAI to install a laboratory facility for sustainable aviation fuels based on renewable energies and glycerine.
- Together with the project partner DLR, the teaching material on alternative aviation fuels was presented to an academic audience, as well as used in the context of two events. The material will be made available upon request to the project.
- In December 2021 and March 2022, the 3rd edition and the 4th edition of the ProQR newsletter were published.
- In October and November 2021, ProQR provided two training sessions on environmental licensing of decentralised fuel facilities to ensure early awareness and technical preparation of potential environmental auditors for the implementation of renewable aviation fuel production facilities.
- The project supported ProQR in hosting the virtual seminar "ViaViva" for transport infrastructures with a socio-ecological focus and a side event on decarbonisation of aviation, which took place in October 2021.
- In May 2021, ProQR presented its project approach in an international context at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) online seminar "Sustainable Aviation Fuels".
- In 2021, the project participates in further sectoral exchange events, such as online seminars and training sessions on "Green Hydrogen & PTX" and environmental permitting procedures for decentralised PtL plants. Likewise, the project participated in other international online seminar and conferences in 2021, and also hosted the first online seminar of its own, "Clean Aviation for Brazil", with great national and international interest.-- In cooperation with other projects from the GIZ Energy Cluster and the International PtX Hub Berlin, two editions of the "Green Hydrogen and Power-to-X Training" were offered, in which the participating ministries, among others, took part
- In March 2021, the study "Preliminary Environmental Assessment fort the Licensing of Renewable Aircraft Fuel Production Plants near Remote Airports in Brazil" was published. This serves as a technical basis for environmental licensing procedures for production plants for renewable synthetic fuels in remote locations.
- Another study ("The potential of Syngas in Brazilian Industries") is currently being prepared by ProQR, in partnership with the Energy Planning Agency (EPE), which looks at the potential production of syngas from various Brazilian industries.
- Online seminars were held in August and September 2021 to present and debate the two studies. In addition, training sessions on the second study will be held in September and October to raise awareness and implementation.
- In October 2020, ProQR actively participated in the virtual socio-ecological seminar on transport infrastructure hosted by the Ministry of Infrastructure.
- Training for key actors took place during a visit of Brazilian companies to Germany and Switzerland in 01/2018 and during a visit of German technology companies to Brazil in 03/2018.
- In 12/2017, a political advisory board was established for the project. This consists of Brazilian ministries, regulatory authorities and industry associations and undertook a first visit to Germany in April 2018.
- For further information on the project, a website ptx-hub.org/… has been maintained since March 2021, and a newsletter will be sent out four times a year.
The link has been copied to the clipboard