Developing capacities for climate policy in Southeast & Eastern Europe, South Caucasus and Central Asia
As of: March 2021
The partner countries are characterised by processes of transformation that lead towards an open market economy, and these changes offer the opportunity to integrate ambitious climate policy into national climate protection plans. To this end, the project is strengthening the capacities of public decision makers and institutions to implement the necessary planning in the pilot countries of Albania, Georgia, Moldova, Mongolia and Montenegro. Individual and small-scale measures (e.g. scientific studies, educational workshops) are also implemented to strengthen climate policy capacities. These measures are oriented on the needs identified in the framework of the BMU dialogue processes carried out with other countries’ governments in the project region. The national framework conditions for climate policy and sustainable economic development are also being improved in the pilot countries, and knowledge management is ensuring that learning experiences are shared with other countries in the region.
Capacity Development for Sustainable Energy and Climate Policy in Central and Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia
Capacity Development for Climate Policies in the Western Balkans, CEE and Central Asia
State of implementation/results
- Georgia: Advice and support for the development of a national climate strategy and an integrated action plan, the revision of the NDC, the development of the National Energy and Climate Plans (NECP) within the framework of the Energy Community.
- Mongolia: Revision of the NDC completed; advice and support for the preparation of an NDC implementation plan, preparation of scientific studies for the further expansion of renewable energies.
- Moldova: Approximation of the EU ambient air quality Directives completed; Revision of the draft law on air pollution control, taking into account the new provisions of the directive on national emission ceilings for certain air pollutants (NEC) completed. Advice and support for the transposition of the EU Industrial Emissions Directive (IED)(IED), the approximation of the EU Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions limitations Directives.
- Albania and Montenegro: Advice and support for drafting of National Energy and Climate Plans (NECP) under the Energy Community; regular exchange of experts on the topic of modelling and analytical work in the context of the NECP development in the countries of the Western Balkans.
- Small measures to strengthen capacities for climate policies in the countries of the project regions in cooperation with, among others. UNECE “Pathways to Sustainable Energy” - Phase 1 and 2; OECD on sustainable infrastructure development in Central Asia and the Caucasus; Michael Succow Foundation related to the establishment of biosphere reserves in Armenia, Georgia; HU Berlin for the assessment of carbon stocks and climate reporting of agriculturally used ecosystems in Central Asia.