EcoLogistics: Low carbon freight for sustainable cities
As of: September 2021
Urban transport of goods and commodities is a significant source of greenhouse gases in Argentina, Colombia and India. Nevertheless, many cities hardly address this in their mitigation measures. The project supports environmentally friendly rules and practices that directly contribute to mitigating the impacts of climate change and to the achievement of ambitious NDCs in the partner countries. It creates greater awareness of the issue among local and national governments to this end, develops action plans and gives other cities an example of how to act. The project also strengthens institutional resources and competencies by involving all interest groups, making national policy recommendations and developing a self-monitoring instrument for the movement of goods and commodities. Demonstration projects from the project cities and collections of successful practical examples are intended to motivate national governments and to extend the project experience on a larger scale.
State of implementation/results
- Publication of the EcoLogistics baseline report 2021 featuring urban freight characteristics in the nine project cities (sustainablemobility.iclei.org/…).
- Publication of the podcast "EcoLogistics 101: Everything You Need to Know About Sustainable Freight" (anchor.fm/…).
- Publication of project results concerning the question, how cities in developing countries can address urban freight strategically (Part 2) (sustainablemobility.iclei.org/…).
- Publication of the EcoLogistics Principles that local governments can follow to lead the transition to sustainable urban freight for livable cities (sustainablemobility.iclei.org/…).
- Presentation of the report "Creating Sustainable Cities through Low Carbon Freight - EcoLogistics in ARG, COL, IND", 4th VREF Conference, 23-25 March 2021 (sustainablemobility.iclei.org/…).
- Organisation of the session "EcoLogistics Cities: Front runners in sustainable urban freight", AUTONOMY digital Conference, 4-5 November 2020 (sustainablemobility.iclei.org/…).
- Organisation of the session "EcoLogistics: Achieving Low Emission Urban Freight Transport", Daring Cities 2020 Conference, 13 October 2020 (daringcities.org/…).
- Implementation of the workshop "Urban logistics and sustainability: challenges, opportunities and strategies for public-private collaboration" (with Sustentar), 5-6 November 2020.
- Presentation of the projects to promote low-emission urban freight transport in the project cities Santa Fé and Rosário (americadosul.iclei.org/…).
- Organisation of the event "Advancement of Colombian cities in Sustainable Urban Planning" (with UN-Habitat) as part of the event series Octubre Urbano, 28 October 2020 (onuhabitat.org.mx/…).
- Presentation of the project as part of the 2nd IKI India Networking Workshop, 4-6 November 2020.