International forest-related climate finance
As of: September 2021
Forests are complex ecosystems, which fulfil many functions. They also have a major global role to play as carbon sinks. The project improves the effectiveness of climate financing approaches that have a positive impact on forest conservation. Capacities are also being increased in partner countries to reduce emissions from forest and land use. The project pursues three active approaches aimed at achieving more climate protection through the strengthening of the forests: At the international level, the issue of climate financing is better positioned and more private involvement in this area is encouraged. The cooperation of the stakeholders is also improved, with the result that forest-relevant climate financing is more effectively implemented and the goals of the New York Declaration on Forests are achieved more effectively. In addition, donors are better coordinated and are responsible for climate financing and the transfer of knowledge from project activities.
State of implementation/results
- Organization and implementation of numerous technical events, among others on the environmental integrity of forest-relevant standards in carbon markets, the measurement of forest land change and the role of integrated approaches ("nesting") in forest protection.
- Workshops on "Implications of the New Paris Agreement / Article 6 Rules for REDD+ and on the "Role of Forests and Land Use in Nationally Determined Mitigation Efforts under the Paris Climate Agreement."
- Organization of various meetings of the GER-NOR-UK donor partnership on Forests & Climate Finance to promote policy dialogue and coordination.
- Support to the governments of Germany, Norway and the United Kingdom in the development of a Joint Declaration on Forest Protection with Colombia.
- Ongoing support for the governments of GER and NOR regarding the forest-related climate cooperation with Peru through studies as well as coordination meetings and policy dialogues.
- Organization as well as technical support of events such as the presentation of the report of the Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU) "Growing Better" in 02/2020 in Berlin.
- Support of innovative methods for tracking climate and deforestation risks for companies and investors: publication of Orbitas reports (orbitas.finance/…) and a web-based Orbitas tool.
- Publication of articles, among others on the role of China and the EU in promoting deforestation-free supply chains (Econet Monitor 08/2020) and on forest-relevant quality standards in carbon markets (www.climatefocus.com/…).