Protecting coastal zones in Colombia
As of: October 2021
The Colombian government is planning to expand and sustainably manage protected areas in marine and coastal zones. The project helps environmental institutions to identify, prioritise and designate marine and coastal zones as protected areas. To this end, it analyses the impacts of climate change scenarios on various marine and coastal areas in the Caribbean Sea and supports the country in the designation of new protected areas. The project also develops and implements a sustainable management strategy for these areas in cooperation with local communities and institutions. In this way, it helps to conserve biodiversity, to mitigate the consequences of climate change and to safeguard the traditional livelihoods of local communities. The capacities of state and civil society stakeholders are also strengthened, enabling them to better adapt to climate change and to preserve biodiversity and ecosystem services.
State of implementation/results
- As part of the Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP) Forum (www.esplatinamerica2020.org/…), the project was able to present experiences from sustainable fisheries in La Guajira at the Regional Conference for Latin America in Mexico City in November 2020.
- In November 2020, the project developed and hosted a webinar with 254 participants to share best practices, experiences and lessons learned from participatory management of the mangrove ecosystem through case studies in Latin America and the Caribbean. Participants included the Ministries of Environment from Ecuador, Costa Rica and Colombia.
- In March 2021, a online seminar was held for staff of the Departamento para la Prosperidad Social, DPS - Welfare Institution working in La Guajira, on climate change and the need to integrate adaptation to climate change into social, productive and sectoral development projects.
- Five themes of integrated management and use of protected areas for ecosystem-based adaptation to climate change have been defined in terms of their transferability to other regions of Colombia: Blue Carbon Initiative, Traditional Fisheries, Ecotourism, Integrated Regional Protected Area Management, Ecosystem-Based Measures (in this case agroecological measures).
- The project can be found with its description and progress on the PANORAMA platform panorama.solutions/…