Support of Costa Rica's carbon neutrality strategy as a model for low carbon development (phase II)
As of: April 2021
Costa Rica is looking to position itself as a regional climate action champion. This project therefore aims to help the Costa Rican government in its low-emission development efforts throughout the economy and civil society. Other goals include boosting the expertise of local actors and developing tools to implement the climate neutrality strategy. One focus here is improvements to national legislation and institutional processes as well as setting up a national system for monitoring climate targets. Funding opportunities for climate action programmes are also being explored as well as incentives for climate-friendly business. Phase II builds on the success of the preceding project, which helped relevant actors expand their climate action competencies while introducing climate change mitigation programmes in the coffee and transport sectors. By achieving international recognition for its activities, Costa Rica is now a role model for other countries in the region.
State of implementation/results
- The project supported the development of a mitigation measure in the waste sector (NAMA Waste Management) and is developing a NAMA Support Project (NSP) to accompany the implementation for organic waste.
- Through co-financing from the Foundation Costa Rica Estados Unidos (CRUSA), 8 municipalities and 6 public-private alliances are being supported to implement innovative waste projects: 20 municipalities were supported in calculating their GHG inventories and developing action plans to implement mitigation measures. An incubation program accompanied 7 startups implementing adaptation or mitigation as part of their business model. The goal was to mobilize additional financial resources.
- The project organized a series of climate tables for the private as well as the financial sector to engage relevant stakeholders from both sectors in the climate dialogue.
- Together with the banking regulator SUGEF, the project developed a method to register information on private climate finance flows. In addition, an overview of all international cooperation projects implemented between 2010 and 2019 with a focus on climate change was established.
- Relevant modules on co-benefits, climate finance and mitigation were developed for the national climate monitoring system SINAMECC. Training materials help various stakeholders to enter their data into the system.
- The Costa Rican Civil Society Climate Advisory Council 5C and the Scientific Advisory Council 4C were accompanied by the project in their establishment and have started their work with the support of the project.
- Furthermore, the project participated in the consultation processes for the National Decarbonization Plan and the design of the sectoral agreements (transport, agriculture).
- The platform supported by the project is actively used: cambioclimatico.go.cr