Tracking and strengthening climate action (TASCA)
As of: March 2021
Efficient nationally determined contribution (NDC) tracking systems are necessary for demonstrating and reporting progress. Existing measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems must be strengthened to this end. The project provides partner countries with instruments and resources for their governments to track the implementation and impact of their NDCs and underlying policies. It also identifies further mitigation opportunities as a basis for future NDCs. Countries can implement the MRV requirements of the Paris Agreement and report their results on both national and international levels. The partner countries thus become regional and global centres of excellence for communicating successful MRV methods. Lessons learned will be fed into the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) to develop of a robust system to track and report progress of mitigation measures within the framework of the NDCs. The project also supports the NDC Partnership and its Support Unit.
State of implementation/results
- Workshops and trainings held on sector implementation roadmaps and measurement, reporting and verification (MRV).
- Project supports NDC updating and development of a Long-Term Low Greenhouse Gas Emission Development Strategy (LTS), including through modelling and a peer exchange with South Africa.
- The project supports the Planning and Development Commission (PDC)in updating the 10-year national development plan.
- The project supports the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development (MADS) on greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting and accounting.
- TASCA provides coordination and technical support in the development of the 2050 Strategy (LTS).
- The project supports research on energy policy topics including on electric mobility and economic analysis of renewable energy technologies. – TASCA also supports tool development, for example: the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in tracking energy efficiency measures, the Energy Policy Simulator (EPS), and India’s Climate Explorer.
- The project supports the State Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) on the enhancement of its Indonesia Vision 2045 model and the Low Carbon Development Indonesia (LCDI) initiative.
- Climate Watch Indonesia was launched in 2019 and a sub-national module focusing on West Papua is being added.
- The project supports activities on NDC enhancement including sectoral focus group discussions and a paper on opportunities for enhancing the NDC.
- TASCA supports the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF) on MRV activities, including: development of the South Africa data portal to visualise data from the Biennial Update Report (BUR) and national climate reports; completion of the most recent National GHG Inventory and third BUR; mandatory GHG reporting regulation for companies and facilities; and M&E guidelines for measuring policy impacts published in 2019.
- The project supports the NDC updating by assessing mitigation potential in select sectors.
- South Africa’s Cabinet approved the Presidential Climate Change Coordinating Commission (PCCCC) to coordinate the just transition and LTS: “South Africa’s Low Emissions Development Strategy 2050 (SA LEDS 2050)”, which was deposited with the UNFCCC Secretariat.
Detailed UNFCCC transparency and accounting guidelines:
- The project supports global convenings, webinars, media trainings, and communications outreach.
- TASCA supports tool development including the NDC Partnership Toolbox Navigator, launched in Bonn in 2017, and the Explore LTS, Explore NDCs and the GHG Emissions modules, and the Climate Implementation Tracking Tool (beta version). 13 trainings with WRI International Offices, ministry representatives, country experts, partners, and advocacy organisations were held.
- WRI supports the IKI NDC Support Cluster, including: co-hosting a workshop on transparency held in June 2018; presenting at the Annual Partnership Retreat of the Partnership on Transparency in the Paris Agreement (PATPA) in 2017 and 2018; and coordinating several sessions at the NDC Global Conferences in 2017 and 2019.
- For all relevant WRI publications related to transparency, NDCs, and LTS produced under the TASCA project, please visit our website: www.wri.org/…