Biodiversity Finance Initiative – BIOFIN
A key issue within the implementation of the Convention for Biodiversity (CBD) is the lack of financial resources for the protection of biodiversity. Most states lack reliable information on what funds are needed to effectively implement the CBD's Strategic Plan, where these funds can be sourced and how they can be adequately and effectively assigned. The Project addressed these gaps in knowledge. BIOFIN generated data on previous investments in the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity, as well as the resources needed for the implementation of the Strategic Plans in each country. On this basis, the gap between demand and actual financing could be calculated. The gained information was integrated in the development of approaches that aimed to improve the financing of the conservation of biodiversity in the long-term.
- Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Fiji, Georgia, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Mozambique, Peru, Philippines, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Uganda, Viet Nam, Zambia
- IKI funding
- 17,300,000.00 €
- 12/2012 till 12/2017
- Implementing organisation
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) - Slovakia
- Political Partner
- Diverse biodiversity relevant institutions in the respective partner countries/Diverse biodiversitätsrelevante Institutionen in den entsprechenden Partnerländern
State of implementation/results
- Project is now listed under the new project number 17_IV_047_Global_M_Transformative Policy (BIOFIN II)
- At COP 12 - Decision on Resource Mobilisation (UNEP/CBD/COP/DEC/XII/3) , since then member states call for extension and application of BIOFIN
- Meanwhile, measures are being implemented in 35 countries.
- Most of the 19 original countries of BIOFIN are fully engaged in developing and implementing the Biodiversity Finance Plan and Solution. – BIOFIN produced a very comprehensive Online exchange platform and products, focunsing on finance solutions; first BIOFIN MOOC will take place in April/May 2019.
The link has been copied to the clipboard