Support for the design and implementation of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
The decisive goal of this UN Decade is to halt the degradation of ecosystems worldwide and reverse the trend. Successful initiatives such as the Bonn Challenge to promote the restoration of forest landscapes are to be given new momentum by the decade in order to achieve the ambitious goals by 2030. The project supports key actors in implementing the UN Decade. Together with cooperation partners of the decade experiences are to be processed, made available to key actors and disseminated by means of dialogue forums. With the principle of learning from each other and implementing together, the project supports the implementation of suitable policy and planning instruments as well as new and creative business models. Local and regional capacities for reforestation and sustainable use of forests as well as restoration approaches are to be strengthened as well.
- IKI funding
- 3,000,000.00 €
- 02/2021 till 09/2024
- Implementing organisation
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Political Partner
- Diverse climate change relevant institutions in the respective partner countries/Diverse klimarelevante Institutionen in den entsprechenden Partnerländern
State of implementation/results
- Implementation of the RESTORATION ACADEMY, a workshop series for local and national non-governmental organizations, foundations, associations and governmental institutions working in the field of ecosystem restoration. The intention is to involve them and their work more closely in the UN Decade.
- The first Restoration Academy took place in Central America in 2022, the second was aimed at implementers from East Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi and Rwanda). Another Restoration Academy was held in Lagos, Nigeria in June 2023 and targeted staff of the African Forest Landscape Restoration Initiative (AFR 100). In a workshop and around 10 virtual sessions, participants learn about the goals and strategy of the UN Decade and share their own implementation experiences and projects. Other topics include monitoring and financing ecosystem restoration. In addition, the Restoration Academy offers the opportunity to work together on new project ideas and applications.
- For this purpose, a study was produced that presents different sources of funding in a fact sheet format to help Restoration Academy participants and other nonprofit organizations working to restore ecosystems find suitable project funding. Upon completion of the workshop series, participants can become members of an active alumni network.
- Joining the official network of Supporting Partners of the UN Decade. Associated memberships and active participation in the official task forces of the UN Decade on the topics of monitoring and best practices.
- Organize and implement various events related to the UN Decade for Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030). These include a satellite event at the twelfth Petersberg Climate Dialogue in May 2021, as well as conference sessions at the Global Landscape Forum. Sessions addressed the topics of deforestation-free supply chains (www.globallandscapesforum.org/…), transformative approaches to ecosystem restoration (conference.globallandscapesforum.org/…), and youth-focused outreach (conference.globallandscapesforum.org/…).
- White Paper zur Konferenz: “Youth at the frontiers of change. Raising awareness about ecosystem restoration as a solution for climate change and biodiversity loss” (EN)
- Video: Inauguración de la Restoration Academy para impulsar el Decenio para la restauración de ecosistemas (ES)
- Article: Restoration Academy Africa
- Article: Restoration Academy in Lagos connects AFR100 implementers and UN Decade
- White Paper on the conference: “Rethinking supply chains - Transforming business practices to enable ecosystem restoration”
- White Paper on the conference: “Youth at the frontiers of change. Raising awareness about ecosystem restoration as a solution for climate change and biodiversity loss”
The link has been copied to the clipboard