Decarbonisation of the Chilean energy sector
Chile has great potential for the use of renewable energy sources. The project therefore supported the expansion of solar and wind power in the partner country. In addition, it promoted innovative technologies and approaches such as "green" hydrogen for renewable energy system integration and sector coupling. To this end, innovative projects were identified and prepared for financing. The project built on the positive experience of the previous project which contributed significantly to the dynamic development of renewable energy sources in Chile from 2014 to 2019. The project promoted the decarbonisation of the Chilean energy sector by introducing market-based climate protection instruments in addition to support to the coal withdrawal. To this end, it advised the Chilean government on the implementation of its ambitious and coherently concerted agenda in the climate and energy sector.
- IKI funding
- 4,000,000.00 €
- 06/2019 till 02/2023
- Implementing organisation
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Political Partner
- Ministry of Energy - Chile
- Implementing Partner
- Ministry of Energy - Chile
- Ministry of Environment (MMA) - Chile
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- The project supports and creates a number of analyses and studies, which it also publishes regularly at events. This includes:
- Studies for the energy ministry's planning of the energy transition, on the following topics: making the power requirements of large electricity consumers more flexible, conversion of coal-fired power plants for sustainable use, effects of decommissioning coal-fired power plants for the population, and making the electricity system more flexible. The project supports the implementation of the Chilean energy transition and the country’s long-term energy planning.
- Studies on the use of hydrogen (H2) range from the use of H2-powered buses in the mining sector to social acceptance of the currently largest Power-to-X project in Chile.
- An analysis of the employment potential when implementing the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), for the use of green hydrogen, especially in the mining sector.
- The project also provides technical support:
- Six hydrogen projects, which were selected as part of an ideas competition, receive technical support.
- The Chilean agency for sustainability is receiving support on hydrogen issues.
- In future, the project will provide technical advice on converting the energy supply for a Chilean Antarctic station to green H2 and other sustainable energy solutions.
- The project builds competencies and shares experiences and knowledge through different channels. This includes:
- A series of technical online seminars on the topic of green hydrogen (www.4echile.cl/…+30092021) as well as virtual events with institutions of the German federal states and other institutions.
- Regular podcast interviews on the energy transition and climate change (tinyurl.com/…).
- The H2 newsletter, with more than 4,000 subscribers across Latin America (tinyurl.com/…).
- The regional hydrogen platform H2LAC was launched and continuously expanded. Chile's experience of green hydrogen and its derivatives in the region is disseminated via the platform: www.h2lac.org.
- A 3D model of Chile with virtual reality applications was created. It shows the energetic future of Chile with a decarbonised energy sector and innovative applications such as "green" hydrogen, coal power plant conversion and various renewable energy technologies: www.4echile.cl/…
- The sustainable energy transition in Chile achieved broad international visibility under the Chilean COP25 presidency. The project made important contributions to the conception and implementation of the first day of energy ministers at a COP; produced a video on Chile's CO2 neutrality in 2050 (available in English: youtu.be/… and Spanish: youtu.be/…); and organized three side events.
- An action plan for women in the energy sector was launched under the leadership of the Chilean Ministry of Energy and supported by the project. With it, 26 institutions, committees and companies in the sector commit to various measures to promote a higher participation of women in their companies.
- The project attracts a great deal of public attention: from 06/2020 to 06/2021, its activities were reported on almost 140 times in national and international media and the website was visited more than 70,000 times. The project was also featured on German television: www.zdf.de/…, www.3sat.de/…, www.3sat.de/… Amerika-ganze-sendung-100.html
The link has been copied to the clipboard