Last updated: November 2023
The country is one of the priority countries with which the International Climate Initiative (IKI) maintains a particularly close cooperation.
With over 1.4 billion inhabitants, India is a key partner country of the IKI. With its growing population, the country plays a central role in solving global challenges, for instance in climate change mitigation and in the achievement of the development goals of the 2030 Agenda of the United Nations.
India is also one of the so-called megadiversity countries and is characterised by an extremely high level of biodiversity. So-called biodiversity hotspots are found here, which are places where this high level of biodiversity is severely endangered.
Most priority countries of the IKI also engage in so-called IKI interface projects, which have permanent project offices in the capital city of the respective country. Alongside their own, country-specific project commission, these interface projects are also tasked with maintaining close contact to environment and climate ministries as well as networking with other relevant ministries in the field of climate and biodiversity policy. Beyond this, the interface projects also work to network all of the IKI projects in the country and region together so as to promote synergies.
In India, the interface function is currently represented by the Indo-German Support project for Climate Action in India.
- Introduction of methods for achieving additional climate benefits for programmes and projects of the Indian government (for example, Bonn Challenge or co-benefits of climate action measures);
- Promotion of cooperation between the public and private sectors to support the transition to a low-carbon economy;
- Function as an IKI interface: Promotion of dialogue on climate and biodiversity between the IKI projects in the country as well as between other actors (networking opportunities and knowledge management).
In a nutshell
Region: South Asia
Population: 1.42 billion (World Bank, 2020)
CO2eq emissions (incl. LUCF): 3.167 billion t (3rd rank of global top emitters) (ClimateWatch, 2020)
CO2eq emissions per capita (incl. LUCF): 2.3 t (ClimateWatch, 2020)
Total energy supply (IRENA, 2020):
- 24 % RE (89 % Bioenergy - 6 % Hydro/marine - 2 % Wind - 3 % Solar)
- 23 % Oil
- 6 % Gas
- 1 % Nuclear
- 46 % Coal + others
IKI projects in the country (last updated in June 2023)
- bilateral:14 ongoing, 22 completed
- regional: 3 ongoing, 6 completed
- global: 16 ongoing, 37 completed
IKI partner ministries:
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC)
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MoCI)
- Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST)
- Ministry of Power (MoP)
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Ministry of Coal (MoC)
The link has been copied to the clipboard