Supporting the design and first implementation steps of the new global framework for biological diversity
In 2022, the 15th Conference of the Parties to the CBD decided on the new global framework for biodiversity after 2020. The BioFrame-project supports partner countries in the design and first steps of implementation of the new global framework. To this end, it helps the project partners to prepare for the CBD COP 15, promotes integrated approaches to biodiversity conservation and climate change and identifies funding instruments for the implementation of the goals of the new biodiversity framework. It also provides advice on topics such as nature-based solutions for climate and biodiversity conservation. As part of the Corona Response Package, the project is developing an approach to integrate biodiversity into the plans and measures to stimulate economic growth. A further focus is on raising awareness among the public and non-governmental sectors and other relevant actors for the link between biodiversity, climate, health and green economic recovery.
- Costa Rica, Indonesia, South Africa
- IKI funding
- 5,200,000.00 €
- 12/2019 till 12/2023
- Implementing organisation
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Political Partner
- Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE) - South Africa
- Ministry of Environment and Energy (MINAE) - Costa Rica
- State Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) - Indonesia
- Implementing Partner
- Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH (UFZ)
State of implementation/results
- In cooperation with GIZ SPA, IISD and UFZ, six issue papers on synergies between biodiversity and climate frameworks were prepared, launched and discussed in depth in the course of an expert discussion (www.adaptationcommunity.net/…).
- An analysis of existing matchmaking mechanisms for the implementation of climate and biodiversity goals was prepared with UFZ.
- The results of the study "Assessing the potential of non-timber forest products (NHWP) for nature positive recovery in Georgia" were shared and discussed with policy makers at a workshop on NHWP value chains on 5.12.22 and the revision of agricultural subsidies for better consideration of biodiversity aspects was considered.
- Public outreach events with input from the project:
- An exhibition with photos from IKI projects worldwide on the 23 goals of the Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF) was implemented. The exhibition was launched on the International Biodiversity Day by Federal Environment Minister Steffi Lemke and has since been shown at other locations.
- December 2022: Landing page (www.bmuv.de/…) for the 15th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD COP 15) with embedded press releases (2), interviews (2), and press background paper (1).
- 15.12.2022: Joint side event at COP 15 with SwedBio, CBD IISD, FEBA on strengthening synergies through action on climate, biodiversity and sustainable development, including presentation of Technical Brief.
- 14.06.2022, Federal Environment Minister S. Lemke and Federal Development Minister S. Schulze discussed with international partners at the event "Biological Diversity - Our Shared Responsibility" (www.bmuv.de/…) on the upcoming 15th CBD COP.
- Pilot activities on biodiversity-enhancing economic stimulus measures are being implemented in three partner countries:
- Costa Rica: 27 actors (18 women, 9 men) from 16 non-governmental organisations, business and administration were trained on nature-positive economic development in urban and peri-urban areas. In a subsequent ideas competition, four small-scale projects in the capital San José were selected to be supported by the project.
- Indonesia: In March 2023, 61 men and 32 women from 4 villages in West Kalimantan were trained to produce oil and other derived products from the tengkawang nuts. New measures were introduced to ensure the sustainability of the pilot activities (including certification and permits, preparation of business plans and marketing).
- South Africa: The study on prioritization of coastal ecosystems with specific recommendations for implementation of restoration measures was completed. Five trainings on capacity development of coastal climate change initiatives were conducted in South African provinces.
- In Indonesia the project supports the Indonesian Ministry of Planning in the revision of the Indonesian National Biodiversity Strategy (IBSAP), particularly through technical and scientific inputs on the GBF targets and indicators. A session 'Unpacking the GBF' was conducted with 55 participants from the Inter-Ministerial Technical Committee in July 2023. (www.linkedin.com/…;utm_medium=member_desktop).
- In Mexico the Central Bank of Mexico held a conference on financing communities for biodiversity conservation and restoration in collaboration with partner organizations on June 7-8, 2023. Key stakeholders discussed financial needs of local communities, among other topics. (www.cepal.org/…).
- In Costa Rica, a dialogue process "From Agreement to Implementation: Restoring Biodiversity from a Women's Perspective" was conducted with women rangers and community representatives in May 2023 in collaboration with the IKI Interface Project. The results contribute to GBF Goal 23 and will be considered in the update of the NBSAP. (minae.go.cr/…).
- Video: PreCOP Biodiversity 2021
- Video message by the Federal Environment Minister on UN World Biodiversity Day 2020
- Press release: Flasbarth calls for more financial support for biodiversity conservation
- Press release: National dialogue on the conservation of global biodiversity at the Federal Environment Ministry
- IKI thematic page: Build forward better
- Publikationen zu Biodiversitätsrelevanten und -freundlichen Arbeitsplätzen
- Video: NDC Partnership Webinar “Planning and implementing NBS in nationally determined contributions (NDCs)”
The link has been copied to the clipboard